Tuesday, October 23, 2012

get it

I know that I've said it more than once (usually in reference to either safety laws or dumb bike/skateboard tricks); but it is a wonder that we grew up at all.  Not only that we survived to reach the "ripe old age of" whatever, but that we ever "got it".  All of those life lessons that instil character in us.  And I don't know what the magic combination is.

I don't know that I didn't "get it" when I was 13, but I'm pretty sure that I didn't put hardly any of it into practice until I was at least 20....  And as much as I don't want my children to go through those utter heartbroken moments in life (because I can remember crying over something and thinking that "my life is over"...blah, blah, blah); it's almost like we (dumb humans) HAVE to be at the bottom to rise to the top.

I honestly wonder sometimes if/how my kids are going to "turn out".  I've been repeating myself for years (and I'm not stopping) saying the same things over and over...from simple things of "wash your hands" to all the life lesson things...  I do wonder sometimes if it's sinking in.

I know I'm not the first parent in the world to wonder this; and I certainly won't be the last...  But I do wonder what the parents of the "honor roll" kids are doing that I'm not...(oh, and if it's 'their kids homework--then it's ok--my children's grades are theirs--I did not do any of the work for them).  And does that mean that I've missed something vital that my children will suffer for...  I mean, I don't think (truly) that any of my children will be statistical information, and not that there's anything wrong with being "average"...but I, like all parents, want my kids to be the best.  I for sure want them to be better than me.

No comments: