Tuesday, October 02, 2012

Loyalty

My thoughts, as of late, keep coming back to loyalty.  It seems to me that loyalty is a one way street, where companies are concerned.

I feel loyalty towards the company for which I work.  I perceive that to be a part of my work ethic (something that few seem to have anymore).  And, even after 11 years with the same company, I still feel loyal to the name, place, and people.  Although my "company man" attitude has waned over the years--especially being in management for so long--I still conduct myself with a sense of loyalty to the company.

It seems to me that the company (while expressing in their mission statement a desire to attain/retain customer loyalty) does not value the loyalty of their employees, nor does it reciprocate any loyalty towards them.  "A Company" views that their responsibility towards their employees is given through monetary means.  Tangible, quantifiable return to the employee.  I believe that my paycheck (the monetary means) is a here and now exchange for my time and efforts in their building.  After a decade of working for a company, my loyalty should be evident and rewarded with something more than a certificate and a $30 token/gift.  Tenure with a company used to mean something. 

Loyalty is intangible.  It does not appear on paper.  It cannot be "understood" by a corporation...therefore, cannot be "given" to an employee.

I think loyalty is all together lost in our society.  Even as a customer (I was with the same cell provider for 8+ years...), I did not receive any "special treatment".  Yes, I do believe I should get treated differently/better when they look up my account (because I need some help) and see that I've been "a member since".

Business only succeeds based on loyalty--yet it is something that eludes them still....

No comments: